Holistic Birth and Postpartum Doula Training
A Holistic Doula is a birth worker with the skills to guide as well as nurture during the sacred journey of bringing life into the world. This person offers wellness from a balanced physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual point of view and gives families the love and care that is needed for a positive pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum time.
Attending the Holistic Birth and Postpartum Doula training is your first step toward becoming a Certified Holistic Doula. There's more work to do after the training to become certified. As you should expect with any legitimate training! A Certified Holistic Doula is a Birth and Postpartum Doula that also offers Holistic Therapies for pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Certification requirements include attendance, experiences, written assignments, and exams.
You don't have to wait to be certified to start your career, though. As soon as you complete the training, you can start providing services as a doula, while you work toward certification.
Holistic Doula Training Curriculum
* Holistic Therapies for Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
* Sacred and Ancestral Practices
* Use of Crystals, Healing Sounds, Visualization, Aromatherapy, and Meditation
* Reproductive Anatomy
* Pregnancy Physiology
* Medical Terminology
* History and Role of the Birth and Postpartum Doula
* Cultural Awareness Skills
* Prenatal Doula Care
* Rebozo Techniques
* Compassionate Support Skills
* Labor and Birth Care
* Prenatal Yoga and Dance
* All Birthing Options: Unassisted/free birth, Birth Center, Hospital, Home Birth
* The Role of the Partner
* Birth Plan/Wishes Preparation
* Breastfeeding Education & Support
* Infant Care including Baby Bonding Techniques
* Doula Business 101
* Learn about the multiple types of doula specialties
* Each module includes written assignments, reading summaries, quizzes, and activities
* Required Final Exam
Required Books (use most up-to-date editions):
The Doula Book 3rd Edition by Klaus, Klaus, and Kennell
The Birth Partner 4th Edition by Penny Simpkin
The Holistic Doula Code of Ethics
The following Holistic Doula Ethics has been adopted by Akwaaba Wellness and A Life Of Peace Wellness Education Institute as the primary code of ethics that are in alignment with both national and international doula and birth organization standards. It is our charge to every Holistic Doula that is trained and certified through the Holistic Doula Certification Program to adhere to every ethic outlined below as a method of maintaining professionalism and care of every client of service.
I. Code of Conduct
1. Display and perform with the highest standards of professional integrity.
2. Maintain professional business standards according to state and federal laws.
3. Remain proficient, professional, and progressive in all present and future doula services.
4. Uphold a standard of consistent continuing education bi-annually.
5. Seek out and maintain professional affiliations to establish a network of support.
6. Attend conferences/conventions to maximize available growth potential resources.
II. Responsibility to Clients
1. The doula’s clients are her number one priority.
2. The doula respects her client’s privacy with complete professional confidence.
3. The doula provides all stated services in her professional portfolio.
4. The doula advises and educates accord to her scope of training.
5. The doula will work with confidence in fulfilling all agreed obligations to each client.
6. The doula will clearly state her fees for service to be rendered including payment options and refund policy.
7. The doula will always make the appropriate referrals for the client’s safety and needs.
8. The doula does not make decisions for her clients.
III. Responsibility to the Doula Profession
1. Treat all birth professionals with respect.
2. Do not interfere with a client’s medical care.
3. Bring value to the doula profession one client at a time.
4. Create a unique mission of service that answers the need to expand the profession.
5. Help increase the integrity of the doula professional with excellent service to all clients.
Policies and Procedures
- Please Read Thoroughly-
Attendance at all of the sessions is mandatory. Please be on time for all classes. Non-participation makes you ineligible for the Holistic Doula Certificate.
You will be asked to participate in class during the program. You will get supportive feedback from your peers and from the program facilitators. Participate fully in pair work and group discussions, review your notes often, take quizzes, exams, and do your homework to the best of your ability.
Manual is for your use only. You may print it for your own reference and may not share the pdf or printed manual. No recording and pictures of the doula training PowerPoint or manual unless permission is given. Also, be kind, respectful, and honor privacy.
This course is non-refundable and non-transferable. All transactions are final.
If you complete the program, you will receive a Provisional Certificate (Certificate of Attendance). Once you fulfill the Certification Requirements you will be issued a Certified Holistic Birth and Postpartum Doula Certificate.
Holistic Birth & Postpartum Doula Certification:
After completing the training, you are considered a Holistic Birth & Postpartum Doula. Some participants choose not to certify while others choose to become fully certified. Regardless of your path or choice, you can immediately begin to attend births and assist families soon after the training. . If you wish to certify you must meet the Certification Requirements. You do not need to decide your path before you begin the training. Additional information about the certification path and process will be provided during the program. Regardless of your goals, you will benefit from the in-depth learning opportunities and discussions about the pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience.
Our goal is for you to have a positive training experience and work together with us in the community. If you have any concerns related to the course, please let us know.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there makeup days or will the training be recorded?
No makeup days or recordings at this time. Paid participants may contact us if there’s an exceptional need to be discussed.
I can’t make the next training, will there be future training?
Yes! Please see our calendar and bookings for future dates.
How long is the training and what are the required hours?
The Holistic Doula Training will be conducted virtually via Zoom for two consecutive
weekends. Attendance is required from 9 am to 4 pm EST, on all four days. We will have breaks and a 60-minute lunch break each day.
What is the financial investment?
Currently, our standard full price for your investment is $899, and it can be made back by providing Holistic Doula services to one client. However, we do offer
discounts on tuition for those that register early. Our Early Bird Discount is $599 or less. Check the Events Calendar or bookings for these discounts and important cutoff dates. The cost includes the four-day intensive workshop, a comprehensive electronic manual, handouts, resources, one educational e-book, your certificate of attendance, and an official certificate.
Do I need to register by a certain date?
Yes! To ensure the proper space for our students, registration will close one week
before the online training date. If any spaces remain after that date they will be
available on a first-come-first-served basis by contacting us via chat. Book
early to ensure your spot, and to take advantage of our Early Bird Special which is due before the 6th of the month of training.
Does this Holistic Doula Training offer certification?
Yes, there is a pathway to certification through The Holistic Doula Training Course.
Holistic Doulas aren’t medically trained personnel, certification is not required to work as
a doula. A certification course such as our Holistic Doula Training provides alternative
health methods along with evidenced-based information and mentorship opportunities
for you to receive reliable education and support for both yourself and your clients.
Can my children be present?
We welcome nurslings and non-crawling or walking babies, we recommend that you
have a caregiver nearby to care for your little one during non-feeding times. If you
have children that will not distract you or the instructors then they can be quiet in the
background. Our workshop is a professional setting and highly interactive and we want
you to be available to participate in the hands-on activities.
Join Us For Our Virtual Holistic Doula Training
This training will be packed full of information, tools, and support. You will learn the skills needed to be a trained Doula. You will receive the tools needed to help you guide and support families during the sacred and special journey of bringing life into the world. We hope you will join us!